Digital pool water testers help ascertain the quality of water in your swimming pool. They display the balance of chemicals in a pool and indicate if there is a need to treat the water to ensure a more balanced composition of pool water.
Having a chemically balanced pool ensures a more pleasant swimming experience, with no odor and irritation to the eyes. Digital pool testers also tend to provide more accurate results than traditional testing systems. Therefore, here are the top 10 digital pool water testers that you may consider investing in.
OUR TOP 3
- List of the Top 10 Digital Pool Water Testers In The Market
- 1. Cheapest Amongst All: Accurate Tests With Quick Readings – Accurate HoneForest Temperature 0-9990ppm Aquariums
- 2. Compact, And Water Resistant: Aqua Chek Trutest Digital Reader
- 3. Best Overall: LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
- 4. Accessible Through Smartphones: pHin Smart Water Monitor Pools
- 5. Best Pool Chemical Parameter Reading: Solaxx MET01A SafeDip Digital Test Meter
- 6. Built-in Sensor for Temperature Control: eSeasonGear SALT-3050 Waterproof IP65 Meter
- 7. Best Multipurpose Instrument: Apera Instruments AI316 Premium Series PC60
- 8. Best Value for Money: Apera Instruments AI311 Premium Series PH60 Waterproof pH Pocket Tester Kit
- 9. Best For Clear Readings: RCYAGO Water Quality Tester Portable
- 10. Most Affordable of All: RCYAGO 5 in 1 TDS/EC/PH/Salinity/Temperature Meter Digital Water Quality Monitor Tester
List of the Top 10 Digital Pool Water Testers In The Market
Also check: Top 10 Best Underwater Metal Detectors in 2021
1. Cheapest Amongst All: Accurate Tests With Quick Readings – Accurate HoneForest Temperature 0-9990ppm Aquariums
- Brand: HomeForest
- Warranty: 3 years
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-9990 ppm
This tester manufactured by HomeForest is a multipurpose device designed to measure total dissolved solids (in parts per million), electrical conductivity, and water temperature. Being built with Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) with probes made of premium titanium alloys provides accurate and quick readings.
The device can be used to test drinking water, aquarium water, hydroponics, aquaculture, and water purification systems. It does not measure pH levels. Overall, the device has gained immense popularity among consumers because of its user-friendly nature and consistently accurate readings.
- Auto-Lock Function
- Auto turn off in 2 minutes without the usage
- Equipped with LCD for easy readings at the back of the device
- Has a protective carrying case
- Comes with batteries included
2. Compact, And Water Resistant: Aqua Chek Trutest Digital Reader
- Brand: Aqua Chek
- Warranty: 3 years
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-999ppm
This tester is designed to measure pH levels, free chlorine, bromine, and alkalinity on test strips in approximately 15 seconds. The device is small, easy to handle, and is water-resistant. It must be noted that the device will only return accurate readings if used with the TruTest Digital Test Strips. These strips are disposable and can be used at the rate of one test per strip.
A kit typically comes with 25 strips. It is useful for customers who cannot distinguish between colors in water easily. For the most part, this device is popular among consumers. It must be used according to the instructions for accurate readings.
- Digital LCD of water chemistry
- Tests Free Chlorine, pH, and alkalinity in 15 seconds
- One-touch activation and automatic shutoff
- Stores and saves the last 9 test results
- Can be charged, battery-powered
3. Best Overall: LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
- Brand: LaMotte
- Warranty: 6-month warranty on parts and workmanship
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-9990
LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit has drawn favorable reactions from its users. It is a multipurpose device that can be used to measure pH levels, free chlorine, alkalinity, bromine, total chlorine, calcium hardness, and cyanuric acid. The product contains a photometer that displays digital results of readings. For the aforementioned testing factors barring cyanuric acid, the product comes with liquid reagents.
For testing the acid, the product comes with tablets. The device is water-resistant and comes with a carrying case. It should be noted that the device will only work with LaMotte equipment and is a good product for those who wish to get a bang for their buck.
- No assembly required
- Accurate test results
- Conduct polls and spa tests on a digital display
- Test factors include Free Chlorine DPD, Total Chlorine DPD, pH, alkalinity, and more
- Easy push-button control
4. Accessible Through Smartphones: pHin Smart Water Monitor Pools
- Brand: pHin
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-0.999ppm
This monitor has a wide range of applications. It measures pH level and sanitizer levels and works with chlorine, bromine, and saltwater based pools, hot tubs, and swim spas. The monitor can be linked to your smartphone (works with both Android and iOS) to deliver real-time updates of the chemistry of water bodies. It alerts users when there is an imbalance, what treatment is needed, and even how much.
It is built to sample water chemistry more than 1000 times a week and gives customized recommendations based on the unique requirements of your pool or spa. The monitor’s built-in intelligence makes it superior to traditional water sampling techniques. It has elicited largely positive reactions from consumers, mainly due to its ease-of-use and accuracy of readings.
- Batteries included (lithium metal battery)
- Smart monitor screen with a wireless bridge
- Mobile app to keep a track
- One year subscriptions for free alerts
- Ideal for all size of pools, spas, and hot tubs
5. Best Pool Chemical Parameter Reading: Solaxx MET01A SafeDip Digital Test Meter
- Brand: Solaxx
- Warranty: One year
- Measuring range (TDS): 200-5000ppm
This product is a digital chemistry reader which is designed to read pool chemical parameters. This device does not include any strips. It has a measuring cup in which water must be collected, and the cup reflects the readings in a large LCD meter, which makes it easy to read. The device measures pH levels, TDS, ORP, temperature, free chlorine, and salt.
It comes with an LED indicator, which indicates when a pool is safe to swim in. It can be used for a variety of water bodies, including ponds and spas as well. SafeDip is encased in a water-resistant housing. The device may take some time to operate with efficiency.
- Contains a built-in water sample cup
- Batteries included
- 1 point easy calibration
- Built with state-of-the-art probes
- Replaceable pH sensor
6. Built-in Sensor for Temperature Control: eSeasonGear SALT-3050 Waterproof IP65 Meter
- Brand: eSeasonGear
- Warranty: Varies from the place of purchase
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-5000 ppm (for salt)
This device is a digital salinity ppm and temperature tester, which is designed to be tested on saltwater pools and Koi fish ponds. It can also work with hot tubs. It strictly does not work with seawater, fish tanks, and salt content in other areas.
It has a built-in sensor for Automatic Temperature Compensation and also has a built-in salt conversion factor for meter calibration. The meter is quite a popular product in the market because of its convenience of usage. It has been found to consistently show reliable readings.
- Temperature range: 0-55 degrees Celsius
- Waterproof rating: IP65
- Precalibrated at 3000 ppm salt
- Built-in salt conversion for meter calibration
- Built-In Atc Sensor
7. Best Multipurpose Instrument: Apera Instruments AI316 Premium Series PC60
- Brand: Apera Instruments
- Warranty: 2-year warranty for instrument and six-month warranty for electrodes
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-10000 ppm
This is a multipurpose instrument designed to test pH levels, TDS, electrical conductivity, salinity, and temperature. It can be used in a variety of areas such as hydroponics, water treatment, spas, aquaculture, and cooling towers. The probe is built with Apera’s unique Brush-Resistant Platinum Black Sensor, which displays an accurate EC reading (with a wide range).
It is important to note that this device will not work if tested on distilled or deionized water because there are no ions in the water, which can enable the electrodes to get a reading. This water tester is easy to use and gives accurate readings.
- pH range: -2 to 16 pH
- Auto calibration
- 0-50 degrees celsius ATC
- IP67 waterproof
- An intelligent system with self-diagnosis
- 1000 hours of continuous operation
8. Best Value for Money: Apera Instruments AI311 Premium Series PH60 Waterproof pH Pocket Tester Kit
- Brand: Apera Instruments
- Warranty: 2-year warranty for instrument and 6-month warranty for electrodes
- Measuring range (TDS): 0.1ppm-10.00ppt
This product is a pH level tester in water that can be used for general water solutions such as aquaculture, hydroponics, water treatment, cooling towers, and so on. The device comes with a replaceable probe and an LCD, which displays readings in 3 different lights. It contains a self-diagnosis feature that tells the user what to rectify when something goes wrong.
The model contains an ATC feature as well in the range 32F-122F. Apera’s proprietary sensitive lithium glass membrane ensures accurate and stable measurements. This also returns quick readings—a must-buy product for those wishing to get value for their money.
- CAL calibration key
- pH range is -2 to 16 pH
- Auto-off after 8 minutes of in operation
- Provides an accuracy of 0.01 pH
- Batteries included and ready-to-use calibration solutions available with the kit
9. Best For Clear Readings: RCYAGO Water Quality Tester Portable
- Brand: RCYAGO
- Warranty: 2 years
- Measuring range: 0-9990ppm
This device measures chlorine and acidity levels in pools. Chlorine can be hazardous to the human body in certain quantities and also has an unpleasant odor. It is recommended to use this product frequently to ensure the pH and chlorine balance in your pool is correct. Low pH levels make chlorine dissolve quicker.
It is inadvisable to immerse the probes in any water bodies other than pools or spas. The instrument displays clear readings and is relatively easy to use as there aren’t too many steps involved in usage. The pool pH level must be in the prescribed range. If it is not, the product may not work efficiently.
- Temperature compensation accurate to 0.12
- Batteries included (1.5V power supply)
- Chlorine limits are 0-3 ppm
- pH limits are 5.5-9 pH
- One-Touch function
10. Most Affordable of All: RCYAGO 5 in 1 TDS/EC/PH/Salinity/Temperature Meter Digital Water Quality Monitor Tester
- Brand: RCYAGO
- Warranty: 2 years
- Measuring range (TDS): 0-9990ppm
This device is a 5 in 1 product that performs numerous functions. It measures pH levels, TDS, EC, and temperature. It can detect the salinity of both edible salt and seawater. The TDS function can be applied to aquariums, seawater, drinking water, etc. The system contains an LCD that displays four-digit readings that are easy to decipher.
It contains an ATC system and has an efficient power consumption system, which shuts down after 5 minutes of non-usage. It is also lightweight and easily portable. Consumers heavily rely on this product. It must be used carefully and according to instructions.
- pH range: 0.01-14 pH
- Salinometer range: 0-25% (food)
- Seawater salinity range: 10.1-200 ppt
- IP67 waterproof rating
- pH accuracy: 0.01
- Batteries included
If you plan to buy any of the aforementioned products, then ensure going through the instruction sheet and the user manual as they may fail at delivering accurate results if not used properly. The suggested lineup is honed by many and has enabled its audience to have a safer, fuss-free, and pleasant experience while making use of them at pools and spas. However, many of them from the list are self-diagnosing automated machines that make life easier. Yet, it is best suggested that you buy only the ones that fulfill your criterion and meet the requirements of pool water treatment, drinking water treatment, or checking salt content in it. Remember, the best is the one which is properly utilized.
Q.1) How Often Should I Test My Pool Water?
Ans. Commercial pools tend to test chlorine content every hour. For home pools, testing twice or thrice a week is more-than-enough. Owners must test for both acidity and chlorine content as these two factors depend on each other. Checking for calcium hardness and cyanuric acid can be done less frequently, as their levels don’t vary much.
Q.2) How Do I Maintain Balanced Chemical Levels?
Ans. First, you must check the acidity levels. This must be between 7.2 pH and 7.8 pH, ideally 7.6 pH. If your levels are beyond the limits, you can contact a swimming pool chemical dealer and add or remove the required chemicals. You can then add a certain amount of chlorine to maintain the desired level of residual chlorine, which is required to kill algae or germs.
Q.3) Can I Use Other Reagents for a Certain Tester?
Ans. In most cases, you cannot. The instruments only work with the reagents/strips that come in the package. Manufacturers generally produce the reagents in certain concentrations, and differing concentrations may be incompatible with your instrument. Your readings would be unreliable if used in such a manner.